[ Not a subscriber? Sign up here ]
BEACON HILL HAPPENINGS
– DeLeo hints towards a climate change bill this session: Speaking to the State House News Service this week House Speaker DeLeo said: “it would be his recommendation to extend the session if the Legislature had still not finished the budget, a climate change bill or transportation financing.” Earlier this session the House passed a $1.3 billion climate bonding bill known as GreenWorks, while the Senate passed a package of three climate bills that included an economy-wide price on carbon. The House is yet to pass a requirement putting the state on a path towards net-zero emissions by 2050, which it was working on prior to the coronavirus crisis. Standalone House bills requiring 100% renewable energy and carbon pricing are currently stuck in committee.
Although the statement lacks specifics, it does raise hopes for climate activists and those pushing legislators to pass a bill addressing climate change this session. Although which emissions it will target, and how, are not certain at this point.
– For the most up-to-date info on COVID-19 & Beacon Hill…..
- The State House News Service coronavirus updates tracker” see the latest updates here.
- MassTrac COVID-19 bill tracker: Check it out, and follow updates, here.
ALL POLICY IS LOCAL
– “Weymouth Compressor Construction Continues Despite Pandemic” (Michael P. Norton, SHNS via WBUR): [read the article]
– “Markey joins Jane Fonda on coronavirus, climate change” (Katie Lannan, SHNS via Milford Daily News): [read the article]
– “Let’s bring disaster-response measures to the climate crisis” by Professor Craig Slatin, via the Boston Globe.
– “We’re Thinking about Climate Change the Wrong Way” by Solomon Goldstein-Rose, via Scientific America.
– “Trump Administration Dumps Clean Car Standards for Dirty Air” by Krista Karlson, via the Sierra Club Magazine.
– “‘We are the vaccine’ for climate crisis” by Sarah Metcalf, via the Daily Hampshire Gazette.
– “Let’s Deploy Local Solar for All to Help Restart Our Economy” by Luis Davila, via Morning Consult.
OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
– “Increased Sightings Of Endangered Right Whales Reported Along Massachusetts Coast” (CBS Boston): [read the article]
– “Nature Alert: Trustees Will Reopen 76 Properties To The Public Around Massachusetts” (Andrea Shea, WBUR): [read the article]
– “Transportation and Climate Initiative moves ahead amid pandemic uncertainty” (Lisa Prevost, Energy News Network) [read the article]
LOCAL CLIMATE SPOTLIGHT
– “Sunrise Movement Co-Founder On Bernie Sanders’ Exit, And What’s Next” (Bob Oakes & Wilder Fleming, WBUR): [read the article]
GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
– “Coronavirus Compounds Health Risks of Air Pollution” (Carlie Clarcq, Climate XChange): [read the article]
THE GREEN ECONOMY, STUPID