BEACON HILL HAPPENINGS
– “5 N.E. governors criticize grid operator” (Bruce Mohl, Commonwealth Magazine): [read article]
– “Labor, Environment, and Business Groups Call on Lawmakers to Forestall Transit Cuts” (Christian MilNeil, MassStreetsBlog): [read article]
– “Mass. Lost Ground On Emissions Reductions In 2018, New Report Says” (Michael Norton, SHNS via WBUR Earthwhile): [read article]
ALL POLICY IS LOCAL
– “Living In Harm’s Way: Why Most Flood Risk Is Not Disclosed” (Rebecca Hersher, WBUR): [read article]
– “Cape Commission: All towns need a Climate Action Plan” (Doug Fraser, Cape Cod Times): [read article]
– “The Controversial Natural Gas Compressor In Weymouth, Explained” (Miriam Wasser, WBUR Earthwhile): [read article]
– “COVID-19 is the pop quiz but climate change is the final exam” by Maria Virginia Olano (featuring Lauren Kurtz), via Climate XChange.
– “If You’re Fighting Climate Change, You Must Also Fight Voter Suppression” by Nathaniel Stinnett, via WBUR’s Cognoscenti.
– “Legislature needs to act on transportation electrification” by Veena Dharmaraj and Staci Rubin, via Commonwealth Magazine.
– “The world needs to explore solar geoengineering as a tool to fight climate change” by David Keith, via the Boston Globe.
– “When it comes to solar geoengineering, we’re still very much in the dark” by Raymond Pierrehumbert, via the Boston Globe.
– “Fishing laws need to keep rebuilding stocks, address climate change” by Eddie Doherty, via Cape Cod Times.
– “It’s not just this future reality, it’s a current reality” by Amanda Griffiths (featuring Samantha Montano), via Climate XChange.
OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
– “‘I Felt Like I Was Poisoned’; Toxic Cyanobacteria Blooms Imperil Region’s Ponds” (Eve Zuckoff, CAI): [read article]
– “Study: Most Of The Plastic Found In Seabirds’ Stomachs Was Recyclable” (sic) (Barbara Moran, WBUR Earthwhile): [read article]
– “As Climate Change Drives Droughts, Water Conservation And Infrastructure Are Key” (Annie Ropeik, WBUR Earthwhile): [read article]
– “Activists march to Globe offices to demand changes in climate crisis coverage” (Andrew Stanton, Boston Globe): [read article]
– “SCPN Spotlight: Edgar Barraza on the Importance of Advocating for Environmental Justice” (Ava Gallo, Climate XChange): [read article]
– “The 2020 Election And The Future Of Offshore Wind Power In The U.S.” (Bruce Gellerman, WBUR): [read article]
BEYOND THE BAY STATE
– “Illinois Workers Center Union Jobs in New Clean Energy Coalition” (Eric Jjemba, Climate XChange): [read article]
INSIDE THE BELTWAY
– “Ruth Bader Ginsburg Leaves a Climate-Sized Hole on the Court” (Ava Gallo, Climate XChange): [read article]
– “Elizabeth Warren blasts the EPA for neglecting environmental justice” (Zoya Teirstein, Grist): [read article]
Missed the last CXC Roundup? Here are the top three climate headlines from last week:
- 2020 politics loom large over climate conference committee negotiation
- “Study Finds Regional Pact To Reduce Transportation Pollution Could Yield Major Health Benefits”
- “Lynch: FBI To Investigate Possibility of Cyberattack At Weymouth Compressor”
Read the full Roundup here from October 9th, 2020 here.