BEACON HILL HAPPENINGS
– “Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, other agencies sue administration of President Donald Trump over plan to gut National Environmental Policy Act” (Melissa Hanson, MassLive): [read article]
– 35 days since the climate conference committee convened… and no word still on any progress made by the 6-member committee on reconciling the Senate (S.2500) and House (H.4933) climate bill versions.
ALL POLICY IS LOCAL
– “Climate Activists Stage Dramatic Demonstration on Bourne Bridge“ (CAI, Eve Zuckoff): [read article]
– “Attleboro Considering Comprehensive Environmental Bill To Curb Plastic And Other Pollutants” (Hannah Chanatry, WBUR): [read article]
– “Groups say Boston electric grid upgrades should anticipate offshore wind” (Sarah Shemkus, Energy News Network): [read the article]
– “Markey Victory Boosts Climate Action on Beacon Hill” by Tim Cronin, via Climate XChange.
– “A green recovery is what the country needs right now – we have proof of how it would work” by Ruby Wincele, via Climate XChange.
– “Op-ed: Mass. can’t be No. 1 without equity” by Mary Wambui, via Boston Business Journal.
– “School buses should go electric – here’s how” by Duncan McIntyre, via Commonwealth Magazine.
– “Climate action key theme of primary races” by Craig S. Altemose, Commonwealth Magazine.
– “New England needs to go all in on offshore wind” by Elizabeth Turnbull Henry, via Commonwealth Magazine.
OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
– “Massachusetts Just Had Its Hottest Summer On Record, Climate Report Says” (CBS Boston): [read article]
– “Kill the ‘zombie’: Springfield demonstration calls for end to biomass proposal after decade-long battle” (Peter Goonan, MassLive): [read article]
– “Hard times afflict Massachusetts’ iconic cranberry bogs, as economic and environmental changes reshape the industry” (David Abel, Boston Globe): [read article] [$]
– “Machine Gun Range Proposal Has Environmentalists Up In Arms” (Eve Zuckoff, GBH) [read article]
– “Democrats unveil new agenda for economic recovery and climate action” (Justine Calma, the Verge): [read article]
– “Ed Markey reinvented himself with a focus on environmentalism, leading to his big win” (David Abel and Victoria McGrane, the Boston Globe): [read article] [$]
– “Anya Flood Taylor on Youth-Led Climate Activism” (Carlie Clarcq, Climate XChange): [read article]
BEYOND THE BAY STATE
– “Landmark Environmental Justice Legislation Passed in New Jersey” (Carlie Clarcq, Climate XChange): [read article]
INSIDE THE BELTWAY
– “Webinar Highlights: A Fireside Chat With U.S. Congressman Sean Casten” (Carlie Clarcq, Climate XChange): [read article]
Missed the last CXC Roundup? Here are the top three climate headlines from last week:
- “Koch academic influence returns to Massachusetts with new Tufts University think tank”
- Deep Dive: Boston Councilor Wu’s plan for a Green New Deal
- “This is a great look into how utilities wield their power on Beacon Hill”