It is a critical time to enact meaningful climate solutions! Take the helm of an organization that’s been a leader in the climate space and help shape the future of our planet.
Mission, Work and People
We are Climate XChange, a diverse and talented team of people deeply committed to stopping climate change by achieving a durable and just transition away from polluting fossil fuels to a low-carbon economy. We are looking for an Executive Director who understands the magnitude of the crisis we are facing, and who can lead the fight with necessary passion, urgency and energy.
Climate XChange has a two-pronged strategy:
We advance market-based mechanisms and other climate policy at the state level in the United States. Our advocacy arm is active in Maryland and Massachusetts. Our advocacy work requires that we partner with frontline communities, unions, teachers, students, state legislators, executive branch officials, municipal officials, and industry leaders to build coalitions.
State Climate Policy Network
Our rapidly-growing network has 15,000 members who are committed to the passage of effective and equitable climate policy. We build collective knowledge and assist in the forging of new connections to boost state campaigns nationwide. We provide the information, resources and networks necessary to empower state and local policy makers, business leaders and advocates to make climate policies a reality in their states.
Both prongs are supported by our Research and Communications Teams:
Core Functions: Research and Communication
- Research: We provide data and model-driven research for policymakers and other stakeholders to successfully advocate for equitable climate and clean energy solutions. We also provide technical assistance to state leaders on issues like decarbonization, green stimulus, equity and environmental justice, carbon pollution pricing, and public health.
- Communications: Fossil fuel interests have long deployed media narratives to shape public discourse. We counter their influence by engaging the public with creative, science-based information. We are communicators, both of the severity of the climate crisis and of the policies, solutions, and changes needed to solve it.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing all aspects of the organization and will report to the Board of Directors.
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Work with the Board and the staff leadership team to set and align all stakeholders (Board, staff, key funders, and partners) on the organization’s strategic goals, and translate these into specific operational plans, objectives, and a budget.
- Deliver on those plans while managing the budget — this will include setting annual KPIs and leading the organization to meet or exceed those.
Culture and People Management
- Create and promote a positive, productive work culture consistent with our values.
- Be the ultimate responsible party for all aspects of talent management and people operations; an effective coach and mentor who will help our talented staff grow.
- Ensure and grow efforts to attract, listen to, and incorporate diverse voices across organizational efforts.
- Embrace and champion our values around Justice, Equity and Diversity.
Partnerships and Branding
- Represent Climate XChange at external meetings, and build and maintain positive working relationships with partner organizations, political groups, businesses, and media.
- Protect and build the reputation and brand of the organization.
- Manage and grow relationships with major donors and foundations, and forge new ones.
- Oversee the success of all fundraising activities including operations of our annual Tesla Raffle fundraiser, grant applications, and reporting operations. Grow and diversify revenue sources.
Financial Operations, Governance, Legal
- Work with the Finance Committee of the Board to develop an annual budget for the organization.
- Manage that budget and ensure the financial health and sustainability of the organization.
- Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the state of the organization.
- Oversee annual audit and federal/state submissions. Ensure legal and tax compliance.
New Initiatives and Research
- Identify the need for new areas of research, implement necessary studies, and analyze results.
Relevant Experience, Skills
- Leadership and management experience in a non profit organization, ideally with advocacy and communications competencies.
- Knowledge of climate science, the politics and landscape of climate advocacy, and a strong network in the climate space.
- Four-year college degree and Master’s degree in a related field. Two additional years of relevant leadership experience can substitute for the Master’s degree.
- You know to powerfully tell stories and speak in an engaging, persuasive manner. You can change minds and inspire collective action at the scale necessary to move the needle on climate change.
- Impact Driven. Visionary. The planet is running out of time. Our future leader must be an agent of change. You see the potential of the different pieces of Climate XChange, and have the vision to take them to the next level of impact. You are a force of nature driving toward our goals, undeterred with invariable setbacks.
- Honest and courageous. You are graceful and calm under pressure. You are honest and can embrace reality no matter how harsh, and can speak the simple truth in a kind and empathetic way.
- Collaborative. You know how to enable collaboration and reconciliation of different points of view that may be in tension with each other.
- You are a dedicated learner, curious and hungry for knowledge — the climate space is very large. You have the intellectual horsepower to hold all the moving parts in your head.
Apply for this Job
Please submit the following application for our Executive Director position. We will be in touch if you are selected to move forward to the next stage of the application process.
Climate XChange is committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable, and safe workplace for our team, our partners, and our network. We understand that the climate crisis is an intersectional issue and that inclusion of diverse perspectives and backgrounds is crucial to our success.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Climate XChange is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Location: We would like the Executive Director to be based in Boston, MA but we will be flexible for the right candidate and can discuss during the candidate process.
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Benefits: Medical insurance, paid vacation, holidays, sick time, and family leave, flexible working hours, technology stipends